EDUCATION ON WHEELS
Xiente’s mobile preschool (Busesito) is bringing education to your front door! Our mobile preschool is a unique educational service that brings preschool programs directly to different Philadelphia neighborhoods. We’ve design the Busesito to provide early childhood education and development opportunities for children who may not have access to traditional brick-and-mortar preschools.
WHAT DOES THE BUSESITO PROVIDE?
The Busesito provides academic enrichment providing three to five-year-old children with kindergarten readiness. Two cohorts of children receive five hours of academic instruction per week, divided into two 2.5- hour sessions either in mornings or afternoons, for a six-month period. Instruction will support IEP goals for children who currently have IEPs.
Capacity and Quality Building:
Xiente’s Busesito provides informal providers with coaching, and quality improvement of programs. Capacity Building for Informal Providers The mobile preschool will create a support system for informal childcare providers, aiming to increase their capacity to provide quality educational experiences for children in their care, as well as connecting them to partners that can offer additional tools and services.
- Coaching: Each provider will receive coaching with the Program Coordinator who will help them build capacity around specific topics of interest. NSCA will coordinate or provide training in socio-emotional learning, child development, nutrition, health and safety (including CPR), CDA credentialing, budgeting, literacy, parent engagement, and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Social Support: To address the isolation that informal providers may experience, NSCA will create opportunities for providers to meet and share experiences and best practices Community
- Connections: The mobile preschool will leverage its partnerships with other programs to expand the resources of the informal providers.
Economic Mobility for Families:
Busesito families are connected to Xiente’s programs and services that advance economic mobility. Xiente’s economic mobility strategy entails supporting families in three main areas:
- Human Capital: Access to educational opportunities and health care.
- Social Capital: Community connections and networking.
- Economic Capital: housing support and financial literacy.
Families in the mobile preschool program are assigned an economic mobility counselor who will help them navigate services and resources in these areas. Counselors will also provide families with the following services:
- Positive Solution for Families: A research- and evidence-based parenting
- Early intervention support: Screening children using USQ assessments and connecting
them to resources.
- Transitions to school: Kindergarten enrollment support
- Family Engagement: Connecting families to lending libraries and home connections.